Crawling cables at home are like rats. I managed to hide all of them, except one that I need for my laptop. This is an original "IKEA hack" to disguise this last cable.
Crawling cables at home are like rats: ugly, always in your feet and gather load of dust. To power a laptop or an iron, I have been for a while somehow tolerating an extension cord getting out of below the sofa. It looked like... a rat. On the other hand IKEA rats are so soft and cute. It gave me the idea to hide the extension cord box inside a "Gosig Råtta", the IKEA rat.
WARNING: Electricity can kill instantly, as well as causing fires. If you make your own, be responsible. Don't leave children nor pets play with such rat.
- one Gosig Råtta
- one extension cord
- velcro bands
- basic sewing equipment
- unstitch the back of the rat, from the neck to the tail
- remove the tail and most of the stuffing
- sew vecro bands along the back opening
- insert the socket box in the rat
You get a cute happy "electrified" rat.
(see all pictures on flickr)
With a similar process, Dusan made a pretty cool hack with his rat: he is hiding inside the rat the central node of his home made temperature and humidity monitoring system. The antenna is hidden in the tail, and two indicator LEDs are in the eyes. Well done!
They talk about it
- www.ikeahackers.net - Electrified-rat
- hus-raad.dk - En nuttet stikdåse…?
- mystolt.de - DIY Inspiration - Schöner Kabelsalat
- Ememeli - Pyssel
- Fantastic Decor - Electrified rat
- QUO VAIDS? - Monitoring temperature and humidity
- Pinned and re-pinned at Pinterest.com
- 59+ users fancy it, at thefancy.com
- On twitoaster.com - possibly the dumbest thing?